I like to call the car battery the “most useless” part of the car. And yet, without the car battery providing the initial current to crank the engine, your car will just remain stationery. So, in a sense, it is not really the “most useless”, rather – it is the most critical component!
So, given that it is such a critical component, how do you care for it? These are the 5 Ideas to care for your car battery to ensure that it is always ready to start your car when you crank the engine.
- Keep the Battery Clean. We recommend that you inspect the physical condition of your car battery at least once a month. If the surface is greasy, wipe it with a wet cloth to remove the grease. If you find the terminal heads corroded with white/blue crystals – just pour hot water over it and scrub gently with an old toothbrush to remove the crystals. Just to share that this crystal is chemically “Copper Sulphate” and is formed when vapours of your car battery escapes and react with the terminal heads. If the corrosion is very serious, consider replacing a new car battery for peace of mind.
- Reduce Parasites. Do not connect many electronic items (most common is car dashcam / video camera) to your car’s power socket (or directly wired) because these sucks power from your car battery even when you are parked. When the power from your car battery gets too low, it won’t have enough power to start your car – and a jumpstart is needed.
- Check Your Alternator. The alternator (also called “charger”) is the part of the car that generates and provide electricity to your car when your car is moving. It also charges your car battery. Whenever you send your car for servicing, ask for the alternator output reading. A healthy car alternator should produce a current of voltage 13.4v to 14.2v – so that it can effectively charge your car battery.
- Be Proactive – Change Car Battery every 18mths (before it dies!). Car batteries are an expendable item and here in Singapore, they usually lasts about 18mths (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Hyundai, Kia, Proton, Ford, VW, Volvo). Those from Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar lasts a little longer – about 36mths (because the car battery is located in the boot – far away from heat). Be proactive – ask for a car battery change before your car battery dies and you can avoid sudden downtime (Car Cant’ Start) when your car battery dies suddenly on you.
- Keep Contact of a Reliable Mobile Car Battery Service Provider. There are many Mobile Car Battery Replacement Service in Singapore, choose one that is friendly, well experienced and gives value for their service. Also note the brands of the car battery they supply. The market leaders in Singapore is Amaron (for Japanese cars) and Hoppecke (for Conti cars). Avoid unknown brands with dubious quality – check our car battery brand’s reputation on car forums. And of all things, make sure that the service provider gives you a formal quote and when the job is done – issues an invoice (that sometimes also act as a warranty card).
FastFix Car Battery Service is proud to have helped ‘000s of Singaporean drivers with their car battery problems. We are friendly, experienced and uses the most reliable car battery and our price is excellent. You can reach us at 81145500.